Search Engine Optimization
If you have a website or a blog and are on social media, then you’ve probably heard about search engine optimization (SEO). If not, you may be wondering, “What is search engine optimization?” If you have a business, your next questions would be “How important is this?” and “How do I do it?”
In a world where the World Wide Web is the go-to-place for anyone and everyone, it is essential for an individual or a business to know – and use – SEO. We’re going to answer the question “what is search engine optimization”, but we’re also going to take it a step further, and share five simple techniques on how to boost SEO.
What is SEO? When you type in a word on Google, it turns up a list of search results. Some items appear at the top of the list, others at the bottom, and others in the next pages. This is basically search engine optimization at work. SEO involves ranking certain sites so that they appear high and at the top of search engines like Google. Essentially, the sites that appear at the top and on the first page of Google when you type in a keyword are the sites with high ratings and good SEO.
Studies have revealed that Internet users typically only read or browse the first five pages of a search. For businesses, it’s important to get your site on the first five pages (but ideally the first page) if you want to boost your brand’s visibility and reach out to more customers.
What else do you need to know about SEO? Here are some tips and best practices on how you can boost SEO.
- Use popular keywords in your site. Do a quick search on your industry and if your business does not come up, then it’s likely you’re not using the right keywords in your content. Get familiar with the common keywords and search words in your industry that customers often use, and use these keywords in the first paragraphs of your content.
- Provide for your all texts, images and visuals. Content does not only refer to words and sentences; it can also pertain to images, graphics, and other visuals you use. Make them also searchable by giving it text descriptions (alt text).
- Get a transcription for your video and audio content. If you want Google to include videos and audios on their search, start adding transcriptions too.
- Check for duplicate content. Search engines assign a lower ranking on a page with thin or duplicate content, so make sure that your site pages’ content is distinct and relevant. Most importantly, create interesting content that satisfies your customers’ searches and need for information.
- Build your links. Your SEO rankings also increase with more links that you build, so it’s important to get more sites and pages linking back to your company or content. One way to build your links is to get your partners and loyal customers to link you in their posts on their own blogs or on social media. Social media buttons are also great for sharing your content and building your link.
Knowing how to use and maximize SEO is important. As the focus of online marketing has changed, SEO techniques have likewise shifted from keyword stuffing to producing more quality, relevant content. And in a world where content is king, this is the one thing that matters.